POSITION: Senior Records and Information Governance Specialist
LOCATION: Chicago, IL
ORGANIZATION: Top Ranking Multinational AM Law Firm
COMPENSATION: Base salary commensurate with experience, plus generous paid overtime and performance-based bonus; Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage; Transit Program; generous Paid Time Off; 401K w/match; Gym membership perks, Life Insurance, all firm amenities, exceptional culture, prestigious firm with historical stability, security and career growth. Noted as one of the most desired law firms to work for globally.
OVERVIEW: The Senior Records and Information Governance Specialist is the go-to expert for all things pertaining to data lifecycle management for the firm. This senior role advises stakeholders including attorneys, paralegals and other legal personnel on information governance matters while exemplifying top of the line white glove service to the Firm’s clients, staff and vendors.
- Serve as the main point of contact with, and ensures exceptional customer service to Firm personnel and departments requiring records management assistance and/or guidance
- Assist management in the identification and containment of risks associated with records management
- Advise attorneys and staff on all aspects of the KERI approval process and disposition, e.g. destroy, return-to-client, retain processes
- Analyze, documents, proposes solutions, and involves management, if needed, when complex records issues arise
- Work collaboratively with Risk Management Systems group to streamline records management data to improve efficiency and effectiveness
- Communicate ideas for improvements and lessons learned with peers and management
- Undertake research and provides advice in the implementation of new and existing record retention periods
- Propose different and improved workflows for reviewing the retention of client and documented records
- Ensure that suitable information security safeguards for client and organization data are in place
- Liaise with the firm’s offsite storage and shred vendor(s) on services and assesses vendor’s service levels in relation to the Firm’s business and legal requirements
- Ensure Records staff work effectively and efficiently to accomplish daily records tasks and local or Firm projects
- Assist with the review, approval and copy process for electronic file transfers regardless of originating office
- Assess daily demands, develops work plans, and assigns tasks and special projects to Records staff.
- Provide oversight and direction as needed to ensure that work performed meets quality and service standards
- Ensure timely disposition of records approved by Records Management Attorneys for destroy/delete and return-to-client
- Available to provide guidance and assistance to all Kirkland offices and senior management on daily work, special projects, compliance issues, and policy or procedure changes
- Provide in-depth training and mentoring to Records staff regarding Firm policies, procedures and working practices.
- Advise the implementation of policies and processes for data privacy compliance
- Coordinate responses to requests for information from partners and other internal and external sources
- Conduct user data access evaluations on a regular basis across different data repositories and departments
- Keep track of vendor agreements, data flow diagrams, and privacy risk assessments.
- Retain data flow diagrams and privacy risk assessments for third-party vendors.
- Partner with upper leadership in the creation and improvement of processes to ensure that all applicable data privacy regulations are met.
- Assist attorneys and personnel in identifying and controlling data privacy issues, as well as establishing an information governance compliance culture.
- Ensure client questionnaire deadlines are met, with adequate time for evaluation and input from senior management and partners
- Lead the intake, analysis, and assignment of new client information requests
- Coordinate and combine information from all administrative departments as well as the legal team
- Review team members' deliverables prior to attorney and senior management reviewal
- Collaborate with partners, clients, or others to relay Firm's information governance policies, procedures, and technical controls for handling client data
- Coordinate user entitlement reviews requested by clients.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Information Technology, Law, Compliance, Information Management or related field
- 5+ years professional services consulting, practice support, records management or paralegal experience in a professional services environment
- Paralegal, Information Governance, Information Privacy Professional, or Certified Records Manager certification/credentials are a plus!
- Microsoft Office proficiency
- Must be capable of delivering effective oral presentations on all aspects of records management
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a diverse group of internal and external clients, attorneys, and staff
- Ability to manage confidential information and sensitive situations with tact and discretion