Entry Level Billing Assistant
Large Global Law Firm
Location: New York, NY – Midtown Manhattan
Organization: An International Law Firm
Compensation: Base salary up to $55,000 based on related experience plus well-paid overtime; Medical and Dental Coverage; Paid Time Off; 401K; Savings Accounts; Transit; All Firm Amenities; Exceptional Work Environment and Firm Culture. Beautiful offices in an ideal location for all forms of mass transit, shopping and restaurants.
- Perform client billing and collection activities for assigned clients in a timely manner
- Monitor aging of unbilled fees for assigned partners and/or clients
- Monitor and manage outstanding accounts receivable, unapplied funds and collection efforts
- Meet with the Billing Manager, Senior Billing Coordinators, and/or partners to discuss monthly billing, outstanding invoices and strategy for collections
- Generate Proformas for each assigned partner at the beginning of each month, after the time entry deadline
- Prepare billing packages for each assigned partner (i.e. draft cover letters, invoices, etc.)
- Review Proformas for misallocated time and ensure time entries are in accordance with client policy
- Communicate new/changes in client policies to timekeepers
- Edit draft invoices based on partners’ mark-up, including: Write-offs, in accordance with firm policies/procedures
- Time/cost transfers; investigate the appropriateness of where entries should be billed
- Time entry narrative changes with respect to additions, corrections, deletions
- Verify client-specific rate accommodations and if necessary, apply approved discounts to the face of the invoices; keep track of volume discounts based on thresholds reached
- Pull back-up of costs to include with final invoices based on a client’s billing requirements
- Generate billing variance reports and write-off reports; acquire appropriate write-off approvals based on write-off amount thresholds
- E-Billing and prepare electronic invoices in LEDES; submit electronic invoices to clients via their designated electronic billing system and verify successful submissions
- Establish working relationships with e-billing site vendors; make certain all timekeepers and rates are up-to-date on the sites; submit timekeepers and rates for approval as needed
- Ensure three-way communications between e-billing site, client and the Firm (as the e-billing site processes invoices based on the Clients’ Outside Counsel Billing Guidelines)
- Track status of bills submitted, identify issues, and work to address rejections and reductions as they arise
- Monitor payment of assigned clients’ accounts receivable and coordinate collection efforts
- Collaborate with Billing and Collection Committee members and/or Financial Managers to coordinate billing and collection efforts
- Provide assistance to partners and clients regarding outstanding and/or short paid invoices
- Communicate situations as they arise that may require follow-up, such as rate issues, delays in billing, difficult requests, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business
- Related Billing experience in a law firm or professional services company preferred
- MS Office with emphasis on Word and Excel
- Elite 3E Electronic Billing System or Aderant experience a plus. The firm will cross-train a person with solid related legal or professional services billing experience.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Interpersonal skills in order to work effectively within a team environment, as well as independently with a great group of co-workers.
- Ability to adapt to new assignments and deadlines in a fast-paced and upbeat department that is known for excellence.